Latin America belongs to the democratic regions of the world, the democracy is based on broad acceptance within the population and the course toward constitutional state, free-market economy, regional integration and international opening is set. But risks may not be ignored. They result from a weakness of parliaments, missing independence of the law, corruption getting out of control, the failure of important representation elements (parties, trade unions, federations), as well as from social asymmetries.
Concrete fields of activity of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung in Latin America are:
- Cooperation with Christian democratic parties and democratic people's parties with related basic value orientation;
- Constitutional state, constitutional reform processes, constitutional courts and independence of the juridical systems, right and ethics;
- Dialogue about regulatory policy and the specific arrangement of the economic and monetary policy as well as new formulation of a modern social politics;
- Contribution to the lastingness of democracy;
- Consultation of governments and parliaments;
- Cooperation with organizations of the civil society;
- Municipality politics and local party level, creation of coordinating political intermediate levels within the provinces;
- Role of the media, media law, influence of new technologies and effects of new forms of political marketing on the political systems.
The European-Latin American dialogue takes a special value. The MERCOSUR, a regional integration project in the south of the continent, receives a special attention. In the future the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung wants to take part in the European-Mexican dialogue.
Emphasis countries in the region are Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico.