How to apply [en]
There are two ways to apply for our scholarship program:
International selection procedure
Every year, our foundation organizes several international selection conferences in different countries all over the world. In 2019 interviews are conducted in Hongkong, Belgrade, Warsaw and Vilnius. If you are living in a country or region close to these cities, you may send your written application directly to the responsible regional KAS Office. Students living in countries that are not listed cannot apply for the international selection procedure in 2019.
Domestic selection procedure
In case you are already living or studying in Germany, you are welcome to apply for a scholarship via the domestic selection program using our new online procedure. You will be able to fill out the application form online and upload all required application documents. Please do not send in any written application. The application period ends on July 15th (12:00/noon) each year for the domestic procedure.
Please download and fill out the application form and attach the following documents:
- A meaningful CV in tabular form including details about your previous voluntary work or social commitment
- Copies of your examination certificates in German translation if the originals are not in English
- Copies of your studies performance records if you have been studying at a University in Germany
- Proof of German language skills
- An informal academic letter of recommendation: This opinion should provide information about your academic qualifications and potential; it should not be older than two month. The author has to be a university professor or teacher holding a doctoral degree.
- An informal letter of recommendation concerning the applicant’s personality: This opinion should focus on your personality and interests as well as on your understanding of values and your social commitment. The author cannot be the same as that providing the academic letter of recommendation.
- Certificate of admission or matriculation from your university in Germany
- Two passport photographs: If applying for a doctoral scholarship, please attach additionally
- A detailed description of your doctoral thesis: This exposé, written in German or English (4-5 pages), should outline the central research question of your proposed project, its scientific relevance, your theoretical approach and the motives behind your choice of the research subject. It should also contain a work and time schedule and a bibliography.
- A second academic letter of recommendation: This second opinion should be written by the supervisor of your doctoral thesis, providing you already have one. It replaces the letter of recommendation concerning the applicant’s personality.
About the selection procedure
There will be a preliminary selection among all completed applications received on time. Based on the above mentioned requirements of our scholarship program, we will take a decision whether to invite you to a selection conference or to reject your application. In specific cases, an application may be deferred if the candidate does not yet meet all requirements but has given the impression that he/she might be able to do so in the foreseeable future.
The selection conference
The final decision awarding a scholarship is taken by a committee at a selection conference. During a 30 to 40 minute interview, you have the opportunity to introduce yourself personally to the selection committee. The discussion involves questions about your personal and academic career, your planned studies or research in Germany as well as about your motivation and personal values. In general, the committee consists of one representative of our Sponsorship Program for Foreign Students (Ausländerförderung) and of two auditors with academic expertise in the applicant’s area of study or research. On the international selection conferences held outside of Germany, the head of the regional KAS Office will be a member of the committee.