About us - Foundation Office Afghanistan
Freedom, justice and solidarity are the basic principles underlying the work of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS). KAS is a political foundation, closely associated with the Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU). As co-founder of the CDU and the first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, Konrad Adenauer (1876-1967) united Christian-social, conservative and liberal traditions. His name is synonymous with the democratic reconstruction of Germany, the firm alignment of foreign policy with the trans-Atlantic community of values, the vision of a unified Europe and an orientation towards the social market economy. His intellectual heritage continues to serve both as our aim as well as our obligation today.
In our European and international cooperation efforts we work for people to be able to live self-determined lives in freedom and dignity. We make a contribution underpinned by values to helping Germany meet its growing responsibilities throughout the world.
We encourage people to lend a hand in shaping the future along these lines. With more than 70 offices abroad and projects in over 120 countries, we make a unique contribution to the promotion of democracy, the rule of law and a social market economy. To foster peace and freedom we encourage a continuous dialog at the national and international levels as well as the exchange between cultures and religions.
Human beings in their distinctive dignity and with their rights and responsibilities are at the heart of our work. We are guided by the conviction that human beings are the starting point in the effort to bring about social justice and democratic freedom while promoting sustainable economic activity. By bringing people together who embrace their responsibilities in society, we develop active networks in the political and economic spheres as well as in society itself. The guidance we provide on the basis of our political know-how and knowledge helps to shape the globalization process along more socially equitable, ecologically sustainable and economically efficient lines.
We cooperate with governmental institutions, political parties, civil society organizations and handpicked elites, building strong partnerships along the way. In particular we seek to intensify political cooperation in the area of development cooperation at the national and international levels on the foundations of our objectives and values. Together with our partners we make a contribution to the creation of an international order that enables every country to develop in freedom and under its own responsibility.
In 2002 the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung has opened an office in Kabul. With its programmes, KAS supports the peace process in Afghanistan and contributes to the establishment of a democratic state based on the rule of law. KAS sponsors conferences, seminars, workshops and publications of its partners and conducts its own programmes. The objectives of these programmes are:
- to contribute to the political, economic and social development of Afghanistan;
- to disseminate knowledge about the functioning of political institutions and processes;
- to inform about relevant political, economic, and social issues and provide a forum for open discussion;
- to offer intra-Afghan and regional dialogues as platforms for confidence-building.
Dialogue and Exchange programs
KAS offers various dialogues to promote peaceful international exchange and confidence building. Currently, KAS offers the following dialogue formats:
- Inner-Afghan dialogues
- International Foreign Policy and Security Dialogues
- Afghan-German dialogues and study trips to Germany or Europe (EU, Brussels)
- Regional dialogues and exchange programs with neighboring countries (such in as South & Central Asia, SAARC countries)
Policy Analysis and Policy Advice
The Foundation has supported the establishment of the National Center for Policy Research (NCPR), a national thank tank and research institute at Kabul University. NCPR conducts programs on the following topics:
- State structure, national unity, development of a democratic state based on the rule of law
- Elections, electoral system, political legitimacy and accountability
- Political economy, fiscal policy
- Peace process, mediation and peaceful conflict management
- Regional integration, strengthening Afghanistan's trade and competitiveness in the region
In cooperation with the National Center for Policy Research, KAS finances the study and analysis of policy issues and setting-up of a monitoring system that supports decision-making on a national basis. KAS promotes the discussion between scientists and national decision-makers to enhance the reestablishment of functioning state structures that focus on development issues.
In 2002 and 2003, supporting the constitution-making process has been one of the important aspects of the KAS's activities d. A study tour to Germany and consultancies, workshops and seminars in Afghanistan were some of the means by which the Foundation encouraged discussion on relevant constitutional issues among politicians and scientists.
In cooperation with local media outlets, KAS finances and conducts media trainings for professional journalists and journalist graduates to strengthen professional journalism in Afghanistan. Topics of the workshops, trainings and fellowships are among others:
- Standards and ethics of professional journalism
- Conflict-sensitive reporting and reporting in conflict environments
- Investigative journalism
- Mobile journalism, online journalism and new technologies of media coverage