Wie bewerbe ich mich? - Scholarship and Culture
There are two ways to apply for our scholarship program.
Each year new focus countries or regions are determined for our selection procedures. In 2021 we will focus on Russia, Ukraine, Turkey and Latin America (coordinated through our office in Peru) and interviews will be conducted online. If you are living in one of these countries, you may send your written application directly to the responsible KAS office – please check their web-sites for the exact procedure and addressee. Students living in countries that are not listed cannot apply for the international selection procedure in 2021.
In case you are already living or studying in Germany, you are welcome to apply for a scholarship via the domestic selection program using our online procedure. Please fill out the application form online and upload all required application documents. Please do not send in any documents by mail as these will not be considered. The application period ends on July 15th (12:00/noon) each year for the domestic procedure.
- A meaningful CV in tabular form including details about your previous voluntary work or social commitment.
- Motivation letter.
- Copies of your examination certificates in German translation if the originals are not in English.
- Copies of your studies performance records if you have been studying at a University in Germany.
- Proof of German language skills (B 2).
- An informal academic letter of recommendation: This letter should provide information about your academic qualifications and potential; it should not be older than two month. The author has to be a university professor or teacher holding a doctoral degree.
- An informal letter of recommendation concerning the applicant’s personality: This letter should focus on your personality and interests as well as on your understanding of values and your social commitment. The author cannot be the same as the one providing the academic letter of recommendation.
- Certificate of admission or matriculation from your university in Germany.
If you are applying for a PhD-Scholarship, please add the following documents:
- A detailed description of your doctoral thesis: This exposé should be written in German or English (5-10 pages; font size 12; 1.5 line spacing) and should outline the central research question of your proposed project, its scientific relevance, your theoretical approach and the motives behind your choice of the research subject. It should also contain a work and time schedule and a bibliography.
- A second academic letter of recommendation: This second letter should be written by the supervisor of your doctoral thesis, providing you already have one. It replaces the letter of recommendation concerning the applicant’s personality.
- A confirmation of supervision by your doctor-father or -mother