detail - Foundation Office South Africa
This portlet should not exist anymore
The conference seeks to address interesting and underdeveloped issues of political rights in South Africa. Leading academics and journalists will discuss questions on the media’s relationship with democracy, the conditions of a robust democracy, internal regulation of political parties, and electoral reform.
- Is democracy merely casting a ballot or do citizens have participation rights between elections?
- How should elements of representative and participatory democracy be balanced?
- To what extent must political parties themselves be organised in a democratic manner?
- Should there be restrictions on political party funding?
- How should we conceptualize citizenship in South Africa and abroad? Should citizens living abroad and permanent residents be entitled to vote?
- How is the participation of minorities to be developed?
- What can South Africa learn from structures in other countries?
- What is the role of the media in ensuring effective participation?