Debatte: „Fünf Fragen - fünf Antworten“ - Israel Office
Our list of publications now contains a new series called „Five questions – five answers“. At irregular intervals, readers will be informed on thesis and ideas, currently being discussed with our cooperating think tanks. The answers to our questions differ, sometimes they are even conflicting. Nevertheless, they reflect a pluralism so typical for the vividness of political debates in Israel.
- Halfway through the period the American Administration allocated for Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations, we asked Dr. Ely Karmon, Senior Research Scholar at The International Institute for Counter-Terrorism (ICT) and Senior Research Fellow at the Institute for Policy and Strategy at The Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) in Herzliya, Israel, to elaborate on the prospects of the negotiations.
- KAS Israel asked Dr. Gershon Baskin, one of the pre-eminent Israeli experts on Hamas, five questions about the back-story to operation “Pillar of Defense” and about the prospects of a permanent truce between Hamas and Israel.
- Dr. Ron Pundak answers five questions about the subject "Two States for Two Peoples" - Still a valid concept!.
- The circumcision debate dominated for some time the German media. Also in Israel the discussion was followed closely. About the perception of the debate we spoke with Jacob Edery, Vicepresident of the Knesset.
- The agreement between Likud and Kadima on Kadima joining the Netanyahu government took everybody by surprise. We asked Kadima member and Vice President of the Israeli Knesset, Jacob Edery, about the background and the consequences of this "Surprising political coup".
- By Easter and Pesach nature's winter dormancy seems to be finally over, believers and non-believers alike feel a sense of relief and gratitude. What do the Bible and the Jewish Sages have to say about that experience, and what has the collective wisdom of the world’s religions to contribute to a new “ecological awareness”? We asked Rabbi Yonathan Neril, Founder and Executive Director of The Interfaith Center for Sustainable Development, if "Environmental stewardship transcends politics".
- In light of a series of incidents on gender segregation which has recently caught the public attention in Israel, Dr. Galit Desheh, Director of the Israel Women’s Network, analyzes the status of women in Israeli society. Five questions - five answers: "A “Kulturkampf” in Israel?"
- Ido Rosenblum, student at the Center for the Study of European Politics and Society at Ben-Gurion University in Beer-Sheva gives our readers background information on the project "Bringing Europe to Israel".
- Dr. Reuven Pedatzur, academic director of the „S. Daniel Abraham Center for Strategic Dialogue, Netanya Academic College”, gave his assessment to the subject of "Israel and the Iranian nuclear program" Five questions - five answers: Israel and the Iranian nuclear program.
- Concerning the Palestinian bid for membership within the United Nations, Ambassador (Ret.) Alan Baker, director of the Institute for Contemporary Affairs at the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs (JCPA) highlights the legal aspects Five questions – five answers: Approaching September - 2.
- Hanna Siniora and Dr. Gershon Baskin, Co-CEOs of the Israel Palestine Center for Research and Information (IPCRI) debated on the specific issue „Israel, the Palestinians and the United Nations“ Five questions – five answers: Approaching September - 1.
- Dr. Sharon Pardo (holder of the Jean Monnet chair at the Center of the Study of European Politics and Society - Ben-Gurion University of the Negev) expressed his opinion regarding the question on how Israelis perceive Europe Five questions – five answers: Israeli perceptions of Europe.