5th Conference of the Network of African Parliamentarians on Defense and Security Committees - Regionalprogramm Sicherheitspolitischer Dialog Westafrika
Being aware of the important stakes of decisions taken at the international level for both the peoples and the African States,
Noting the lightness with which these issues are often addressed by the various governments that succeed one another at the head of African States,
Aware of the role of parliamentarians in overseeing government action and evaluating public policies
Anxious to play their part in the economic and political emancipation of African States and in the achievement of African unity with seriousness and commitment,
In a concerted and unanimous manner, declare as follows;
- The new European facility that has been negotiated, discussed, and adopted by the European Union, by virtue of the new competencies that it gives to the European States as far as the African States in the field of military cooperation, constitutes a very profound change in the relations between the African Union and the European Union.
- Prior to any implementation of this new facility, there should be consultation within the African Union so that the various States of the Union can present their reservations with regard to this facility and so that measures can be taken to ensure that no African State is forced to suffer the effects of this new facility.
- The European Union has taken its time to set up and adopt this facility while taking care to take into account the opinions of European States unfavorable to the new facility, the principle of equality and equity requires that the same possibility be given to the African States to be able to deliberate and indicate the conditions under which they wish to benefit or not from this facility.
- Such consultation is desirable insofar as Europe has decided to reorient an important part of its cooperation, and Africa should also readjust its policies in this area in order to benefit from this new opportunity.
- The African Union will have to ensure that all African states without exception adhere to this new dynamic of reorientation of cooperation relations with the European Union and with each of its states.