detail - Foundation Office South Africa
This portlet should not exist anymore
This seminar will engage with a range of important questions which will include the following:
• What are the causes of police brutality in the United States and South Africa?
• How have the different histories of the United States and South Africa contributed to present day problems?
• Is there a similarity between police brutality in the United States and South Africa?
• How do issues of poverty, gender and class intersect with race to influence police brutality?
• How do issues of race and the xenophobic attitudes towards non-nationals intersect?
• How does the discourse around systemic racism and police brutality compare and contrast in the United States and South Africa?
• What changes are needed? Can reform solve this issue or is dismantling needed and, if so, what would that entail?
• How do the solutions required compare between the United States and South Africa? What realities impact upon implementation?
• Are there concrete legal changes that need to be adopted to address this problem?