Perspectives on The State Capture Report - Foundation Office South Africa
This portlet should not exist anymore
DetailsFor several years, the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into the Allegations of State Capture, Corruption and Fraud in the Public Sector including Organs of State (known as the ‘State Capture Commission’) has been a significant feature of South Africa’s legal and political landscape. After a multitude of extensions and challenges (resulting in litigation in some instances) the Commission’s work has finally culminated in the publication of the State Capture Report. The four volumes of the report which have been released to date contain shocking revelations about the extent of the corruption, maladministration and deceit that pervaded parts of the South African government and para-statal entities. The State Capture Report has exposed many of the deeply-rooted issues that have created serious damage to governance in South Africa. The release of the report requires us to reflect on its findings and how to move forward on the basis of its recommendations. Given these imperatives, this seminar will seek to investigate the following questions:
- What is the legal effect and status of the State Capture Report, and what obligations, if any, does it impose on state actors and non-state actors?
- How can we address and resolve the problems identified in the State Capture Report’s damning findings on the operation of South Africa’s system of public procurement?
- What are the most urgent and important steps that ought to be implemented in order for South Africa to recover from the era of state capture?
- What are the primary challenges that might impede the implementation of the State Capture Report’s recommendations?
- Is the National Prosecuting Authority capable of taking the necessary steps pursuant to the State Capture Report’s findings?
- Bearing in mind the challenges that this commission of inquiry faced during the course of its work, what lessons can be learned for the benefit of future commissions of inquiry?
We look forward to your participation.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org given limited places on Zoom.