detail - Foundation Office Israel
This portlet should not exist anymore
The event hosted practical and viable proposals for a two-state solution by key players in the security arena and the peace process.
Greeting the audience, Michael Mertes, director of Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Israel explained why KAS is advocating for a Two-state solution:
Yuval Diskin, former Director of the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) then gave a moving and inspiring keynote speech that was met with great applause. In his speech, he spoke of himself as a patriot who had dedicated his life to Israel’s security. He also explained his support for a two-state solution.
See Yuval Diskin's speech in Hebrew:
Dr. Samih El Abed, Former PA Minister of Construction and in charge of the territorial aspect in negotiations with Israel, and Dr. Yossi Beilin, the former Minister of Justice for Israel along with Knesset members: Omer Bar-Lev (Labor), Dov Khenin (Hadash), Yakov Margi (Shas) and Moshe Mizrahi (Labor) reaffirmed their support for the “Geneva Initiative”.
Additional details regarding the event will be published shortly.
Initial media coverage of the event and Diskin’s keynote showed that the nation is still interested progressing with talks of a two-state solution. The event proved to have good timing with the right participants at the right time.
The following is a list of the media coverage thus far:
4 December 2013
- i24 News Video: 10 years to the Geneva initiative – a bitter celebration
- Yahoo News: Kerry to present security plan in Mideast visit
- Haaretz: Ex-Shin Bet chief: Conflict with Palestinians riskier for Israel than nuclear Iran
- Jerusalem Post: Former Shin Bet head: Israeli-Palestinian conflict more dangerous than a nuclear Iran
- Ynetnews: Ex-Shin Bet head: Lack of peace bigger threat than Iran
- The Times of Israel: Ex-Shin Bet chief: Iranian threat dwarfed by danger of failed peace talks
- Arutz Sheva: Diskin: ‚Too Many Jews’ Living in Judea and Samaria
- i24 News: ‚Peace with Palestinians more important than Iranian threat’
- IBA World Service / Israel International Radio & TV: Former Security Chief Warns no peace treaty is more dangerous than Iran’s nuclear plan
- The Jewish Chronicle: Israeli ex-spy chief calls for settlement freeze
- The Guardian: Israeli former security chief: failure to end conflict is bigger threat than Iran
- The Telegraph: ‘Middle East peace failure more dangerous than Iran bomb’
- The Times: Netanyahu in row over Iran with former Shin Bet security chief
- Aljazeera America: Kerry seeks to soothe Israel security concerns on Iran deal
- The Iran-Israel Observer: Celebrating Peace in Tel Aviv
- Jerusalem Post (JPost Editorial): Diskin’s warnungs
- The Washington Post: At halfway mark, Kerry’s Mideast effort stumbles
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung: Kerry versucht sich in der Quadratur des Kreises