Asia and the Pacific - European and International Cooperation
Asia and the Pacific The Asia-Pacific has shown the most dynamic growth in the world for decades. Connecting Germany and Europe with this region is increasingly important. Through 21 country offices and seven regional programmes, KAS aims to build bridges between the Asia-Pacific region and Europe – based on our values, and centered around security, democracy and innovation.
The Asia & Pacific region
The Asia-Pacific is characterized by a unique diversity of political structures and governance systems. Being present in almost every country in the region, our topics, partners and methods reflect this diversity.
We create a networking platform to connect decision-makers and support political dialogue between the Asia-Pacific and Europe. In a deeply connected world, we strengthen the structures of international cooperation crucial for economic well-being, political stability and security. As highlighted in the Indo-Pacific Guidelines of the German Government, our country seeks to actively strengthen the regional and international rules-based order in the Indo-Pacific. To this end, we closely cooperate with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and ‘Partners across the Globe‘, such as Australia, India, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea.
As a political think tank our Foundation engages in capacity building to foster democratic structures and sustainable development in - and with - the Asia-Pacific. As the region‘s more industrialized nations face many challenges similar to Germany and Europe, we share knowledge and find solutions to the pressing problems of our time, such as climate change, resource scarcity and demographic challenges.
Our core activities centre around the following focus themes:
- Foreign and security policy dialogue and networks building within the region, as well as with Germany and Europe
- Dialogue on climate change and energy security
Participation and Representation
- Supporting the creation of sustainable democratic structures, strengthening constitutional reform, and engaging in peace building processes
- Cooperation with political center parties on the ideas of rule of law, human rights and promote political participation
- Capacity building for civil society actors and the media
- Observing digitalization processes and enhancing expert exchange on frameworks and incentives for (digital) value-added-creation and delivery
Our work in Berlin
The Asia and Pacific Department is responsible for the strategy development and administration of all country offices and regional programmes abroad in Asia-Pacific. It provides country-specific, first-hand experiences to the public debate in Germany and Europe – to parliaments, domestic and foreign government bodies, think tanks, civil society actors and the media. Through exchanges with representatives from the region we further provide deep insights into German and European politics.
Stay updated about our work abroad and in Berlin via our facebook page.