This portlet should not exist anymore
Today, fake news are often supported by so called deep fakes – seemingly real synthesized videos of any kind of content. Because of fundamental advances, significant technical skills to produce such deep fakes are no longer necessary, transferring the ability to create them from specialists to a wide range of actors. This increases the risk of their misuse and challenges our democratic societies to find political solutions to fight this growing threat.
Prof. Dr. Hany Farid, Senior Advisor to the Counter Extremism Project (CEP), is a global leader in forensic technology and the leading authority on the detection of deep fakes. Together with Dr. Hans-Jakob Schindler, Senior Director at the Counter Extremism Project, and in cooperation with the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, Prof. Dr. Hany Farid wrote a study called “On the Threat of Deep Fakes to Democracy and Society”. This report explains not only the technology of creating deep fakes, but also talks about potential technical opportunities for their detection, and makes policy recommendations to counter the threat of deep fakes.
The Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung and CEP cordially invite you to the virtual launch event of this study on June 29, at 5 PM CEST. Among Prof. Hany Farid, who will introduce the study, we are happy to welcome Ronja Kemmer MdB, chairwoman of the Special Committee on Artificial Intelligence, who will speak about the threat of deep fakes in Germany and the legislative counter-measures the country can take.
Following the presentations, participants will have the opportunity to discuss this issue with the speakers in a Q&A segment.
Please sign up for the event here.
- Dr. Gerhard Wahlers | Deputy Secretary General, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung
- Dr. Hans-Jakob Schindler | Senior Director, Counter Extremism Project
Introduction of the Study
Prof. Hany Farid | Senior Advisor, Counter Extremism Project
Ronja Kemmer, MdB | Member of German Parliament and Chairlady of the Special Committee on Artificial Intelligence
Discussion with the following discussion hosts
- Prof. Hany Farid | Senior Advisor, Counter Extremism Project
- Ronja Kemmer, MdB | Member of German Parliament and Chairlady of the Special Committee on Artificial Intelligence
- Nauel Semaan | Department International Politics and Security Affairs, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung
- Johannes Wiggen | Department International Politics and Security Affairs, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung
End of Webinar