Facts and Findings
This portlet should not exist anymore
- US foreign and security policy is characterised by two camps: the traditionalists and the nationalists. To date, it has not been possible to place the president clearly in either camp.
- Not least because of the existence of these two camps, US foreign and security policy has been lacking a clear strategic line to date.
- However, one can assume that Trump will be more inclined to rely on military might than diplomacy.
- Under Trump, the US will insist more strongly on greater transatlantic burden-sharing.
- Berlin should make efforts to meet this demand as it is in Germany’s strategic interest to invest more in its defence.
About this series
The series informs in a concentrated form about important positions of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung on current topics. The individual issues present key findings and recommendations, offer brief analyses, explain the Foundation's further plans and name KAS contact persons.